Saturday, May 17, 2014

Dear Mayor of Seattle.

Greetings,

     I've been a resident of Seattle for almost 63 years.  To say I've seen some changes is an understatement.  There are a few things bugging me which I thought I'd share with you.

1.  Massive new buildings.

     Been in Ballard lately?  It's not just Ballard that a lot of new buildings are being built, it's all over Seattle.  I have no clue where all the people are coming from to fill these new units, but someone thinks they're coming.  With all these new residents coming, certain services are going to be taxed a little more.  Police, fire, water and transit are some I can think of.  Any plans to handle this?

2.  You want more of my money.

     I'm having trouble understanding why Metro riders aren't charged what it actually costs to transport them from point A to point B?  Are we afraid they'll balk at the cost and use a different service?  Same goes for the ferry system.  You want to live in some obscure place, then you pay what it costs to do so.  This pre-school thing of yours.  You want me to fund it via my property taxes, yes?  Just because I own a house doesn't mean I'm sitting on some big pile of money.  Car tabs and property taxes are often used to provide funds for something.  Let those using whatever pay for it.  Nobody subsidizes my hamburger or movie tickets when I go out.

     There are lots of things this city needs and one of them isn't more bike lanes.  By the way, they should be tested, licensed and told to wear bright clothing when riding on the streets.  I also want to know where the money is going to come from to cover the costs for the tunnel boring machine now that it's way behind schedule. 

     Bottom line is, quit trying to reach in my pocket all the time for things YOU want to do!  You might think I'm rich, but I'm not!

Steve Drake
8307 27th Ave NW
Seattle, WA  98117
206-251-3323

No comments:

Post a Comment